Seeking Poets for the Park
Syntax Poetry Festival is pleased to announce three five-day residency opportunities for poets / spoken word performers as part of the first annual festival in November 2019.
The aim of these residencies is to reach and engage new audiences in poetry & create new and exciting product that will be shared at a ‘residency’ event in late November.
What is a poet residency?
It’s a chance for a poet or spoken word artist to be resident in a choice of three wonderful locations across Peterborough. The poets who are successful will spend at least five days in their location (dates to be decided in conversation with the partner venue, poet, and residency programme manager), getting to know the space, talking to staff and people alike to be inspired to write new poetry inspired by the people and place. You may also wish to run informal workshops or activities in the space to introduce people to poetry.
Successful poets will be offered a fee of £1000 for their time (inclusive of travel and expenses) and will be expected to attend a residency celebration event on 28th November 2019.
The three venues
- Peterborough City Market
- Nene Park
- Gladstone Connect
Who can apply for a residency?
The residency programme is open to Poets or Spoken Word performers:
- who live or work in Peterborough/Cambridgeshire/South East region
- who are confident writers (no formal experience or training necessary)
- who are passionate about engaging with the public in poetry
- who aren’t afraid to meet new people
- who produce high quality work
- who are available in November to carry out the residency.
What is expected from residency poets:
- Work with the poetry residency manager, and venue, to establish a residency schedule
- Attend a ½ day workshop equipping you with the skills to film your work in readiness for it to be uploaded to the Syntax social media.
- Informal engagement of the public or staff team at the venue during the residency.
- Create a new short 2–3 minute piece linked to your residency.
- Be available to share/perform this new work at the Syntax Residency event in late November.
- Bring along 1–2 people linked to your residency (public, staff members etc) to attend the event at the end of November.
- Be supported by Residency Coordinator.
Process and timescale for applications:
Deadline for applications: 5pm 20th October 2019
Shortlisting: From the 21st October
Confirmation of residencies & short interviews with venue partners: Week commencing October 28th.
Residency period: November 2019 TBC
Syntax Residency event: Thursday 28th November
If this sounds like you, click here to apply for a Syntatic residency.